Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday April 16th

Alan was beavering away as usual. I dropped in some seedlings which were on special at Aldi. Just a few to get some colour going soonish while our seeds and seedlings get going. I'm not good on exotic flowering plants like pansies and co as I am an aussie native plant grower - but other people love them so I adapt in a community garden. The vegetables we eat have come from all over the globe and it will be quite some decades, or even centuries, before our native plants have been hybridised and selected to food crops. Even the big chick pea we know now is a tiny black seed in it's original form. Chick Peas belong to the Fabaceae family, just like our wattles do, but chick peas are in the sub-family Faboideae while the wattles are in the sub-family Mimosoideae. Being veggo I eat  my share of chickpeas but it would be much harder to incorporate wattle-seed into dinner. 


This is the twisty pod of Acacia implexa, commonly called Hickory Wattle. You can see why Fabaceae are called the "pea" family - seeds in pods.

Doris and Pius from across the road came running over wanting help to tie plastic bags on their hands as gloves, raced back and were very busy weeding.
Annie is away camping with grandchildren, so she won't be at the working bee tomorrow. I collected the pop-up marquee today and we can store it in the bus garage.