Sunday, July 11, 2010

Other community gardens

This is the website for the proposed  Warners Bay Community Garden.
http://www.warnersbaycommunitygarden.org.  I have just had an email from a friend who is one of the hopeful gardeners about a Vegeblitz the group did in her yard.  

"Well, I reckon the first Warners Bay Community Garden's organised VEGEBLITZ (today) was such fun - and wasn't the weather just gorgeous!
I wasn't sure if anyone would come, but I made a pot of pumpkin soup and fresh loaf of bread anyway... at least I would eat it if no-one else came.  I wondered if I should tidy up the garden - but I thought its probably better to see the 'before' and then (after the 1hr of work) the 'after'.
 I shouldn't have worried though - right on time at 1pm, I opened the door to see the first VEGEBLITZ team member - Tony, standing there ready for action with his own spade and pitchfork. We got stuck straight into the clean-up of my vege garden and were joined shortly after by several other friends (team members: Dani, Heidi, Lani, Sonia and Steve) - pulling out the ageing pumpkin vines, putting in my bags of manure and digging it through.  The diggings were quite interesting - with several strange bones and old gardening gloves etc found.  I'm not sure they believed my stories about the bones...."
The establishment of WBCG  garden is yet to happen after nearly two years. A great deal of angst has been caused through finger-pointing  of groups competing for use of the land at Bunya Park and Lake Macquarie council. Ominously, the website has "The Politics" in the list of pages.
Pointing a finger means there are three pointing back. Those three fingers are a reminder   
1/. the person pointing must do some self-examination of actions and motives  
2/. there is more than one  viewpoint to consider, 
3/. backing off and negotiating gets results.  
The warm soft space between the fingers and palm holds a good result, with a triumphant "thumbs-up". This applies to CSCG as well, both within the group and in our relationship with the landowners. And it can be done with one hand tied behind your back!!

Maree, the writer, has a resident group of Water Dragons in her native plant garden which take banana pieces from her hand and will even sit on her lap.  She regularly sends updates on her Dragon Diary. This picture is of George.